Wednesday, March 11, 2009

In Praise of Spring Mix


I never liked salads. In my lifetime, I've choked down countless servings of iceberg lettuce coated with Wesson oil and generic vinegar -- only to feel as if I didn't eat anything closely resembling food. Throw in a tasteless tomato slice or a wedge of cucumber, and that my friends, was the salad.

But then, stores started carrying spring mix, that lively combination of greens that inspires committed salad haters to buy the most expensive extra virgin (first cold pressed) olive oil and Italian balsamic vinegar. Is it the arugula? The fresh spinach leaves? Or is it the chopped romaine that causes an irresistable desire to add currants or walnuts to the medley of flavors? It's hard to say, but we're going to discuss it in this blog. Welcome to salad du jour.

No comments:

Post a Comment